Tuesday, March 26, 2013


Ashley Mecham
12:20 AM (9 hours ago)

to me
MOMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! I love you!!!!!!!! I can't get dear elders here. I have only gotten one letter when I first got here at the mission home. All of our mail, including dear elders and packages, goes to the mission home on the mainland. So I don't get it here. But I should be getting everything on Wednesday when President Stucki comes to Palawan. I'm glad to hear that things are okay! Tell Grandma and Grandpa Mecham and Grandma Sherrow that I love them so much and miss them so much and am so grateful for their example to me! 
MMMMM that food sounds goooooooood. The food here is good. I eat a lot of rice, which is okay because it's delicious. Rice and ulam for every meal. Except breakfast, I haven't become a real Pinay yet because I still eat oatmeal for breakfast. 

So, I don't have a lot to report this week. I'm still alive and still happy and still on Palawan! I love it here so much. I finished the Book of Mormon again! Which was happy. And I began again which is the best. I love it so much. The most true of any book. 

Speaking of which, here's an experience:  This week, one of our less active members, Brother and Sister Grajo shared an experience with us that was very inspiring. They have come to church a few times recently, and they seem to be regaining a testimony. We are really excited about them. However, when we visited them this week, Brother Grajo told us about how he was robbed and now he can't afford anything. He sells these shells for a living, and someone in his village stole all his product that he had been collecting forever. He doesn't know how he is going to get by, but he shared with us how he turned to the Book of Mormon and it gave him comfort. He has such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and he is such an example to me because, even though he is going through an extremely difficult time, he still knows the best place to go for comfort.  So yeah, that was depressing and awesome at the same time.

Want to know the hardest thing in my area about getting people to come to church? Pomasahe (fair for the tricycle). The people just can't afford to travel there! It's the saddest thing. We have one elderly couple, the Garays, who are just barely on the path to reactivity, but that have literally no money. Nanay had a stroke and can barely walk - but they are so sweet. Last week the WALKED to church. And that is far. And it is hot. And they are old. And Nanay can barely walk. It is such an eye-opener to me because I can't count how many times I didn't particularly want to go to church one week as a child. But I always COULD.I could always afford to get there. Man, I have been so blessed. SO that's that.

I spoke in sacrament meeting on Sunday at Leah's farewell! Leah is one of our ward missionaries who works with us all the time. We don't know who we're going to work with now that she's leaving! So sad! I'll have a picture of her next week. She's the bomb. 

Last thing: BROWN OUTS. Okay, people. Brown outs are not good ever. If they happen during the morning when we are studying - no electric fan. Mainit. If they happen after dark that means we have to go home early because there are no street lights and it is dangerous. No good! So, blessed are ye who have reliable electricity.

That is all. The Church is true! We are SO LUCKY to have the gospel in our lives. I don't know where I would be without it (not in the 'ppines, though...). Seriously, we are so blessed. I am so blessed. I love you all! Thank you for your love and support and prayers! I can feel it every day!

Mahal ko kayo lahat!

Sister Mecham

No comments:

Post a Comment