Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Back in America Now!
Inbox
x

Ashley Mecham
Jul 14 (2 days ago)

to me, Amanda, Austin, Patrick, Elizabeth, Eliza, Jamie, Kendra, Lindsey
A few weeks ago I spent my p-day helping the Burts (couple missionaries here) clean the brand new apartment for the new batch of sisters coming here. Then, last week, they informed me that we would actually be moving there! Listen, it is nicer than my apartment in Provo (which isn't saying much... but... for the Philippines... it kind of is...) THERE IS A HOT SHOWER THERE. And it's so clean. And there's A/C if we wanted to use it (wayyy too expensive). But basically, I feel like I'm living in America there. It blows my mind. 
Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PARENTS! Maligayang bati sa magulang ko! I sure love you two and am so so grateful for all you do for me! You're the best, for reals. 

Food this week: Back story: So my roommates at the new apartment are Sister Ordiz (the best and craziest, turns out she lied to me about her age before and is actually 31 hah) and Sister Larson. So two pinays and two whities and I got to explain to Sister Larson that she needed to buy toilet paper because philipinos don't use it. That's beside the point. The point is that Sister Larson is SO SCARED to try any filipino food. Like, she is terrified. So the other day I decided to try to make Sinigang which is delicious but I didn't actually know how, but it turned out delicious. But, when I bought the pork for it, I just asked the butcher which cut would be the best for Sinigang and he gave me a pig leg. Yeah. So I made Sister Ordiz prepare that part. But when Sister Larsen got a heaping plate of rice and started sniffing the Sinigang, she spooned out a piece of pork that.... well... looked like the nose of a pig and she screamed so loud and threw it across the kitchen and I died laughing. It was not the nose. But she still didn't eat it. Also, don't worry, the pig leg totally still had hair and everything. It was delicious.

So, the work here is FLYING. I don't know how well I explained my new area, but we share a branch with elders now, the zone leaders. They never did any work in this area before because they said it was unproductive. But listen up, that is not true. But anyway, the branch totally loves us more and made a calendar to pass around so that we would have dinner at a members house daily. DAILY. That is madness. I don't think we'll have time for that. But they're so willing to help! And, in branch council, the elders had never taught them how to give referrals or how to prepare their friends to be taught so when I told them we wanted referrals they asked, HOW? Uhhh... so I taught them and BAM so many referrals. But they are all in the elders' area, sadly. But, long story short, the work is great here.

About my anak: Sister Francisquete is pilipina. Her great grandpa was french, which is where the name comes from and it's funny because the philipinos have such a hard time pronouncing her name even though she's pinay. She is allergic to EVERYTHING. Not really, but only delicious things. Eggs, eggplant, chicken, shellfish, etc. It's a rough time because I am currently in love with eggplant. But she had an allergic reaction to something she ate at a member's house and bam, half a day's work lost. So I have to be super careful because she isn't, hah. She also got the flu (maybe) so we lost another whole day's work. All this because she doesn't like to drink water. (Because my philosophy is if you drink enough water, exercise, get enough sleep, and eat your fruits and veggies, you won't get sick.) That's why I haven't missed a day's work for myself yet on my mission. 

And that was a large rant of unimportant things and now I'm just about out of time... sorry about it.

But listen, I just had the best epiphany this morning in my personal study about the pride cycle in Helaman 12 and 13 about how we are nothing. Oh how great the nothingness of man. And yet, as Elder Uchtdorf would say, we are everything to God. It's beautiful and mind boggling. 

I'm so glad to be here. I love you all. I'll try to send some pictures.

Sister Mecham

No comments:

Post a Comment