Monday, August 26, 2013

Gumaling na ako
Inbox
x

Ashley Mecham
9:18 PM (2 hours ago)

to me, Amanda, Austin, Elizabeth, Liza, Jamie, Kendra, Lindsey, Patrick
I'm pretty much healed from Dengue! I still have a headache sometimes, but feeling great other than that and ready to do the Lord's work! I'll answer your questions now, sorry, I had no time last week.
Typhoon: I can't remember what I already told you about this. But the typhoon is a big deal. Last I heard, over 80% of Metro Manila was underwater. The missionaries were all banished to their apartments because two missionaries were walking in water up to their waste and got electrocuted and were still in the hospital last I heard. But, as I have said so many times, I'm so lucky to be here on Palawan. We are feeling absolutely no effects of the Typhoon here. It's still hot and sunny and beautiful and no flood. We're the only two zones in the mission that are still allowed to work. I'm seriously so grateful for that, especially after being stuck in the house for a week with Dengue and no work. When you can't do work as a missionary, you aren't fulfilling your purpose and you just feel worthless! So, pray that I stay on Palawan the rest of my mission :) PALAWAN MISSION! I wish.

I can tell that you're really concerned about the flash drive thing, but I think you got it figured out! Hah! Thanks! As for a Christmas package, I really just want pictures and letters and cafe rio. Thanks! Hah, but really, there is one think that you just can't buy here. FRUIT SNACKS. Probably because they would get all melty, but that would make my life complete... just sayin'. Other than that, I can buy any thing I need here, so don't spend a ton of money on me please!

I can't remember your other questions, except the meaning of "basta". I don't really know the exact english translation, but you use it kind of like, "anyway". 

So, this week was so great! We had a baptism! The first in this area in over a year! And she's so great: Precy Pangilinan. We met her through OYM, just street contacting, and she came to church the next week. She has progressed so much and I feel so blessed to be part of her conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Even just her aura is different from the first time we met her. Man, I'm just so happy to be serving in this area! The people here are so great.

Two stories lang this week:

1. We were walking past an Adventist church when we heard the tune of "In Our Lovely Deseret" playing inside. We laughed but thought they just used the same tune, but when we glanced inside, the words were displayed on a projector with the part about the Word of Wisdom! I died laughing. They stole our song but they don't know they're singing about revelation given to Joseph Smith! I just died, it was funny, I promise.

2. This is pretty awesome. Open your minds and hearts to the goodness of this story. We were walking and I saw this man that was struggling to walk so we approached him and started talking to him. We told him we were missionaries for Ang Simbahan ni Jesucristo ng mga Banal sa mga Huling Araw or... Mormons. He instantly said, ohh, your church tells you that you can't drink alcohol. Then he said, "I believe that if someone wants to give up alcohol, it depends on the person." Then, as promised in the scriptures, I opened my mouth and it was totally filled with what the man needed to hear. I told him that we believe that it does not depend on people what they should do in their lives, kundi, it depends completely on God. Right after that he said, "Where's your church?" We told him and told him the time and said, "I'll come to church." We thought that was really awesome, but even more awesome, HE CAME TO CHURCH. And we found out that he just started walking again after 12 years of being bed ridden. He's just so ready for the gospel and it's awesome. Also, his name is Danilo. So he will be the second Tatay Danilo that I'll baptize :)

The pictures I've attached are:
1. Precy's baptism - Sometimes I forget how tiny Filipinos are until I see myself in a picture with them...
2. My hand with Dengue. I don't know if you can really tell, but that is what was covering my whole body.

Enjoy! I love you all! Keep it up! Magtiis. Be safe out there.

'ster Mecham


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
2 attachments — Download all attachments   View all images   Share all images  
Sis Mecham 005.jpgSis Mecham 005.jpg
559K   View   Share   Download  
Sis Mecham 003.jpgSis Mecham 003.jpg
2

No comments:

Post a Comment