Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Trangkaso

Ashley Mecham
Aug 5 (1 day ago)

to me, Amanda, Austin, Elizabeth, Eliza, Jamie, Kendra, Lindsey, Patrick
A real great week was this. My english is going downhill fast. I'm sure you've noticed by now.

Sister Fran and I have been sick this week. We have trangkaso. It is a sickness that the philipinos made up because they hate the rain. I don't believe in it, but I definitely had it. It's just where you have almost every symptom you could think of and it happens because there's rain. Even if you don't go out in the rain - just because there's rain outside. It isn't real. 

Speaking of rain, I love/hate it. I actually love it for reals but hate it because no philipinos can be found outside when there's rain. So no one comes to church and they think, "may ulan" or "malakas ang ulan kanina" are good excuses. They aren't.

Muslims - I love muslims. They are the nicest people and we have been encountering so many of them (2 families only, I exaggerate). BUT, we aren't allowed to teach them. Well, we have to get special permission to teach them. The reason is because it's seriously dangerous - for them and for us. If they're seen talking to us they could be killed and we could be too... it's a rough situation. But listen, we've been teaching this family and they're really progressing, then one day the wife tells us she lied when she said she was catholic and that she's actually muslim. And that her family is muslim. So that was awkward, now we have to get permission before we can return to them and it is so sad because they are so so golden and they want to gospel in their lives so much. I'll let you know what President Stucki says when he replies to my email.

Laundry - last week I had so much laundry so I gave in a took it to a laundry place. The closest laundry place to our home coincidentally is also an ukay-ukay or second hand store. It seemed a little shady but I was desperate. However, now I am missing a bed sheet and a few blouses. When I see them for sale in the shop I'll let you know. But for now, never trust a laundry shop that also sells used clothes.

I've been talking in my sleep a ton. In tagalog. It really confuses my American roommate who doesn't yet speak tagalog well. It's awesome.

Our area is really progressing and we're so excited for the upcoming months. We haven't had a baptism yet, but we have a few that are coming close and it's going to be awesome. We're really seeing miracles here and finding the people whom God has prepared for us. It's awesome. I can't believe it's going by so quickly. When I leave Palawan my mission will almost be half over. No! 

Basta, thanks for all you do! You are the best. No pictures this week. Love you!

Sister Mecham

No comments:

Post a Comment