Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Typhoon
Inbox
x

Ashley Mecham
9:39 PM (18 hours ago)

to me, Amanda, Patrick, Liza, Lindsey, Jamie, Kendra, Elizabeth, Austin
There's no Typhoon here. The weather has been hot hot hot.

But, I do have a very legitimate reason for not emailing you last week. I don't know how to put this lightly, but I totally got DENGUE FEVER. Which is completely different than Jungle Fever. I will now commence to tell you all about it:

For the past month or so, I've had really bad headaches all the time. But Sister Burt was convinced it was because of the weather and the change in barometric pressure or something. But then, last Sunday I nearly fainted in church which gave my anak a heart attack and she made me go home. It was the first full day of work I've missed on my mission for my own sickness. I WAS SO MAD. But then on Monday I woke up with a fever...that was...high... So I laid in bed like a cat with no legs for my whole P-day. It was miserable. So then on Tuesday I was so convinced I could still work - so I did. But I was basically a zombie. And as I was walking around all zombie-like, I looked down and noticed a nice rash was developing on my forearms. I kept it quiet until we got home that night and then Sister Burt had a panic attack when we told her. So, first thing Wednesday morning it was off to the hospital! Yeah! So there, a small asian stabbed me with needles and told me I had Dengue. Which basically means that my platelets and my white blood cells and low. Like, really low. But the best part about Dengue is THERE IS NO CURE. 

So, long story short, I came to a small island in the Philippines and got a disease from mosquitoes that has no cure.

But the doctor prescribed Tylenol and grass. Grass. GRASS. I'm so totally in the Philippines. There's this plant that you can find growing on the side of the road called Tawa-tawa that you boil and then drink the water and it tastes like yeast. And it has miracle powers of healing because every filipino I talked to after that prescribed it as well. Luckily we have a little filipino woman in our district who loves me and hunted all around and found me a nice stash of tawa tawa. SO that's probably why I'm still alive and am here at the computer shop right now. 

Other than that, I've literally been laying in my bed for the last week. I wrote a few letters in that time, so some of you will be the lucky recipients of a Dengue letter - but don't worry - I said the exact same thing in all of them so you really aren't that special.

Enough about me - update on my muslim family! President Stucki gave us permission to teach them! And even after 4 days of absolutely no contact with them, when we returned, Brother had completely stopped smoking and drinking alcohol in that time! And they threw out all their coffee! We were so shocked. They are progressing so well and we are so so excited for them!

We are seeing so many miracles in this area and I'm so so excited and so blessed. I'm seeing more success on my mission than I even have. 

We have a baptism this Saturday! We met Precy noon July 16 (Happy Birthday Red) and she began progressing immediately. This will be the first baptism in this area in over a year! The Lord has really prepared people in this area and we've been so blessed to see the fruits of our labors here. 

Our investigators are all so great. When we get to church a half an hour early every sunday, they are always the first ones there, sitting in the chapel, waiting to the spiritually fed. And we have new investigators coming to church every Sunday! This last sunday, the Dagohoy family came to church! We were so so surprised. We've been teaching them since day one - we literally found them on our first day here - and they haven't come to church yet. But they read the book of mormon and are keeping the word of wisdom so we didn't want to drop them because they are seriously so golden. But, I literally said, "If they don't come to church this Sunday, we have to drop them." And, even though we weren't able to visit any of our investigators for a whole week, THEY CAME. Whooey, the Lord has really prepared people here. 

Man, I love this work so much. Sorry I didn't answer any of your questions, but I'll include a picture of my on day 10000 of having Dengue (exaggeration) and not leaving the apartment and drinking Tawa-tawa (I'm aware that I look like a dead person - that's because I was). Enjoy! Love you all! 

Sister Mecham - magaling na!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment