Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ang hirap na, maganda pa

Inbox
x

Ashley Mecham

9:47 PM (1 hour ago)

to me, Amanda, Austin, Elizabeth, Liza, Jamie, Kendra, Lindsey, Patrick, D, Ryan
Whew! This was a rough week! 

Let me story to you:

There is this woman, Bernadeth, who has been coming to church for ages but isn't baptized. She is wealthy. When I got here, she was the only investigator coming to church. So I said, LET'S BAPTIZE HER. But then she's too busy for us to teach her. But this last Saturday I finally was able to teach her for the first time. I've been praying and fasting for her since I first heard about her. So, my faith was through the roof that she would decide to be baptized this month after this lesson. She knows the church is true. She is basically a member, just lacking the baptism - which is the key. SO, we get in the lesson and I am bursting with excitement and joy and the BAM she says she will absolutely not get baptized until her annulment goes through. In the Philippines, that takes FOREVER and is VERY expensive. I was bold. She was bolder. We committed to to prepare for baptism - she can choose the date. She refused any date. I tried all I could think of to bring the spirit UNTO her heart to soften it. Then she starting looking terrifying so I gave up, for now. But then, in a last effort, I turn to her 19 year old nephew, Hideki (who is progressing but kept saying he wasn't ready to be baptized). We invite him to choose a new baptismal date and to stick to it. He accepts immediately and chooses April 26. WHOOOO! I was focusing on the wrong person. The Lord is preparing people all around.

We are experiencing a lot of success in our area with helping less active members return. Wally Ong returned this last week! Now all we have to do is figure out how to convince him to stop doing faith healing... In which I know he's not using God's power to do. And if it's not from God, it's from some other way. Which is freaky but he's way old and can't work so it's the only way he gets food. But the Bishop is planning to step in and help him stop doing it. Brother Joven will be retuning, too in the next few weeks which is also another man we talked to who happened to be a member. He's even older the Wally and we have nice lessons where we have to yell because his hearing is barely there. But it's wonderful and I know the Lord has prepared these members to return to His fold. 

Other than this, I hate being a tall white American and having a tall, white American companion. So many people let us in the teach them. But they all lose their interest in our message and just ask us a million questions about America or our skin or Tagalog or if we have boyfriends and it's weird and can be discouraging. BUT, I know that the Lord is preparing people for us here and maybe that's the way we'll find them.

I'M GOING TO THE TEMPLE TODAY. I'm feeling really excited about it. But that's why you're getting this email on Tuesday.

Love you.

Sister Mecham

No comments:

Post a Comment